When I first thought about wanting to be a ‘good mother’, I found myself focusing on raising kind children. I wanted to teach them manners and guide them in doing ‘the right thing’ even when it feels hard. I wanted to focus on laughter and spreading joy, on working hard and standing back up when you fall down. I don’t want entitlement for material goods, but rather for the ability to seek joy.
I’ve been focused on who they are and who they are becoming.
This has me thinking globally, wondering about the steps I can take at home and working to support companies that are doing the same.
Let me share a few facts with you:
- Since plastics were introduced in the 1950’s, more than NINE BILLION tons have been produced….of that, millions end up in our oceans every year.
- Most plastic isn’t recycled (upwards of 90%) and since it isn’t biodegradable, it could exist – polluting our environment for hundreds of years.
- Every single minute, more than one million plastic bottles are bought around the world….with that number expected to reach the trillions by 2021 (three years from now!)
Enter my friends at Johnson & Johnson.
Along with their constant commitments to do good in the world, to seek good, to support health and humanity and to encourage their employees to donate their time and money, they are working to making our global community stronger and more sustainable.
A few tips for you at home to reduce your use of plastics:
- Say no to plastic straws (500 million are used every day!)
- Bring a reusable grocery bag with you instead of opting for plastic
- Use glass containers for lunch instead of plastic
- Skip the plastic water bottles all together.
- Opt for cardboard over plastic when you can.
Together, we can make a difference.
Disclosure – I’m proud to have a long term partnership with J&J and to be sharing this global committment with you. As always, all thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone.
I LOVE that Johnson and Johnson are helping promote a cleaner environment and less plastic use. The only way we’ll see change is when people and corporations with clout start to push for it.
I always pay attention and try not to use plastic daily. I do have sone reusable shopping bags that definitely helped me a lot.
While we do our best to do our part, we also have to encourage companies that use plastic for their products to do better as well. I am glad that J&J is doing their part to ensure a cleaner future for the next generation, and hopefully, for many generations to come.
Melanie Walsh says
Cutting back on plastic is going to take some big changes and some little ones too. I love that brands I adore are making a commitment to helping the environment.
Michelle Goth says
We attempt to buy products that don’t use plastic. It’s harder than many realize to avoid the use of plastic!
Kristine Nicole Alessandra says
We always bring reusable bags when we shop. My kids also try their best to reduce their plastic usage and take a reusable water bottle with them when they go out. I am glad that Johnson and Johnson, a brand we patronize, has started this campaign to save the environment.