I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t regularly ask you for good news….everywhere from Facebook to Twitter. I think you know I ask not only because I love giving you the platform to share the things you want to shout from the mountains but are, at that moment, only yelling from the top of the stairs in your house, because really – who likes a braggart?
I want you to be loud and proud about that new job, about your growing business, about your wife’s promotion, about your kid winning the spelling be or saying ‘da-da’ for the first time, about your son competing in the Special Olympics, about paying off your debt, about your team heading to the SuperBowl or running your first (or 10th) marathon.
And I want to turn right around and share it for you too. Because IT IS GOOD.
I love good.
So, each week, in addition to asking you about your good news on social media, I’m collecting #ThisIsGood – a series of posts, stories and videos I see around the Internet I think are GOOD.
They might make you healthier, or smarter, or they might fill your belly or your heart.
The only thing I can promise is that I think they are GOOD and in some big or small way what I share in this small corner every Friday will make your day or your week better. It may not all resonate with you, but I believe something will grab your attention, something will make you say #ThisIsGood
For this week:
- My friend Lynette Young is one of the most brilliant people in this digital space. Not only is she known for being THE person in-the-know on Google+, but she gave a talk recently at New Media Expo called The Myth of The Overnight Success. It it WORTH YOUR TIME.
- Pure, lovely, happy, good. If you haven’t spent time with the truly delightful Kid President, I suggest you carve a little time out of your week to do so. The Kid is dedicating serious energy to teaching people – young, old and everyone in between what it takes to be awesome. He gives Pep Talks! My small people love him. I love him. This latest video is worth every second of the 4 minutes it will take of your day. It is dedicated to what little kids need to know in order to grow up to be awesome. I love it so much, my small people and I are going to do our own video as prompted by Kid President with #thekidsneedtoknow. We will be writing and linking up. I’d love to invite you to do the same. What do YOUR kids think OTHER kids need to know about being awesome? It is a conversation worth having.
- There have been so many snow days, wind-chill-ice-below-zero days around here and other parts of the country, it seems every weekend is a three day weekend or more with the kids. This lovely post from from Amanda Magee put my mother’s heart in the right place about expectations and time with my small people.
- I’ve been working on shifting our family’s diet to a healthier format, making better decisions, and choosing to make meals that that we LOVE but use more of the ingredients that are good for us. A meal we have always loved is Chicken Parmesan, but clearly it includes lots of ingredients that don’t fall into the ‘healthy’ category…unless you’re making this amazing version from my good friend Rachel from A Southern Fairytale. Read. Drool. Enjoy.
- And finally – the purely useful. I don’t know if you have an iPhone or an iPad, but we have both in our family and we love them. In theory, we rely on them to make our lives easier, faster, stronger. But then someone writes something like this and I think WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY iPHONE LIFE? How did I not know #2 or #6 or #16? Here you go: 19 Mind Blowing Tricks Every iPhone and iPad User Should Know from Buzzfeed. Then be faster and smarter.
Of everything I share here, I want to know what GOOD grabbed you? What made you want to tell your friends #ThisIsGood? Because I want to do more of it.
Which post, or story, or video hit you?
And have I told you I’m glad you are here?
Because you, YOU? And this new home? #ThisIsGood