This time of year, I’m ALL ABOUT spending time in the kitchen. If I can get my small people in there with me? Even better. The older they get, the more curious they are about how to cook and bake – and they are most definitely the best taste-testers out there. I’m lucky if I can get through a recipe without the two of them snatching bites and leaving me with 3/4 of a batch to finish out.
But the finished products are always so lovely and so delicious.
I have another recipe you simply need to add to your holiday rotation:
Caramel Apple Bars
Here’s how you bring them to life:
- 2 Cups of flour
- 12 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 5 cups of apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of vanillas
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Mix together flour and butter for 2 minutes with a hand mixer. It will be like crumbs. Add in the milk and egg and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Filling Directions
- Place diced apples in a large mixing bowl. Add in the vanilla, flour, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss until the apples are completely coated.
- Grease a 13×9 baking pan and set aside.
- Lay down a sheet of wax paper and place the dough on top of it. Divide it into two equal portions. Place one portion aside and use a rolling pin to flatten one portion. Place the dough into the greased pan with some of the dough hanging over the sides.
- Add the filling on top of the dough in the pan spreading it evenly.
- Roll the second portion of the dough out flat and place on top of the apples. Tuck the sides of the dough into the baking dish, making a seal.
- Top with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream!